Lights keep breaking?

Re: Lights keep breaking?

Postby Mr Venom » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Ok so I just got back from the hardware store across the road from me (I did go there earlier but they sold me a broken globe and a glabe that doesn't fit).

The Globe that doesn't fit is a screw in bulb, and I only have clip in light fittings, and the store doesn't have screw in light fittings.

Does anyone know where I can get in the Krugersdorp, Roodepoort area? I would go to further places but after my accident 2 weeks ago transportation is very limited.

Also, I bought an 11w Red globe for night and an 11w yellow light for the day. The box says it will give off 60w light power, does that mean it will give off heat?

That's all I could get as the store didn't have normal lights or stronger coloured lights.

Ill make a plan this weekend for a heat emitter but for now the 2 globes will have to do.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Nope 11w can give off far more light similar to a 60W incandescent but will give off very little heat.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Mr Venom » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:59 am

BushViper after using it for two days it has infact warmed up the one side of the cage, I just need to get that screw in light fitting for the other side of the cage for the hot spot.

Hopefully today I can get it.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:18 pm

It will give off heat but not as much as a 60W globe. Try to keep all the light and heat on one side of the cage. Remember that lights dry out the air a bit too so you might have to spray the cage to increase humidity.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Mr Venom » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:54 pm

I've got a basking light that I'm puting in today, just went to the store to get the fitting for it.

I have a humidity box in and spray the cage regularly too :)
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:05 pm

I am sick of lights... After four days of searching for a screw in light fitting I found one, and I come home to see that both my screw in lights (one is a repti-zoo basking light and one is a yellow 60w bulb) don't work! I am so pi§§ed so I put my male in a tub and bought another heat pad.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:18 pm

You shouldn't buy reptile lights man.

There is an chance that you have an bad connection to Eskom, I highly recommend you tell your parents to start installing surge plugs on the expensive stuff like the fridge ,computer and so forth. I myself am on such an connection and have regular troubles already, adding an few blown appliances to the mix won't make it easier.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:33 pm

Eish I never thought of that.

Looks like tomorrow I have to go back to the shops for the 100th time to get a basking light for the cage, but this time not a reptile one.

So far I have spent about R300 just on normal lights, wire and 3 light fittings, plus the reptile light was about R200.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:58 am

If you're having that much bad luck connect 2 globes in series. The overall light effect will be dimmer but acceptable. This way half the rated voltage is applied across each filament and it will be able to absorb surges without blowing. Use 2x100 watt bulbs to get 50 watts out. Energy savers/LED's give off light and hardly any heat, if you want heat use incandescents. Just make sure your snake cannot access them.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Mr Venom » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:10 pm

That is actually a very good idea Froot, thanks a LOT! Will do that asap.

I actually never thought of that, but I did that in a school exam x_x.

Hahaha.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:05 pm

Just another little update...

I got myself another screw in light fitting, I wired it up and put the two lights in to test, both didn't work.
So I connected it to the original red clip in light and that worked perfectly, so I guess the wiring is ok and so is the plug, and I doubt both fittings will be broken so it must be the globes.

Tomorrow I'm off yet again to buy two new 100 watt globes and connecting them in series like Froot suggested (many thanks again).

The male Boa seems to be doing well in the tub with the extra heat and he is due to shed either tonight or tomorrow night, and his body isn't cold to touch anymore.

The female Boa has been in the humidity box for two days now, and is quite warm inside there.

Many thanks for all the tips, suggestions and comments guys, really appreciated :)
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:50 pm

Mr Venom wrote:Just another little update...

I got myself another screw in light fitting, I wired it up and put the two lights in to test, both didn't work.
So I connected it to the original red clip in light and that worked perfectly, so I guess the wiring is ok and so is the plug, and I doubt both fittings will be broken so it must be the globes.

I connected a few of these last week. I had to screw them in very tight before they made proper contact.

2 Problems I got;
Turning in an weak bulb and having the base break off from the glass. If the base is inside the fitting without any glass you're gonna have an tought time getting it out :smt013

When I connected the wires to the fitting.......
I pushed the wires in too deep, it went past the copper circle and made contact with the bulb. It shorted out.
20130624_223838.jpg

20130624_223804.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks for that Uwe :D, I think I made that mistake :(.

Now I know not to do that :).

Many thanks for the help!
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Electrical accessories & techniques