First Attempt Building Enclosures

First Attempt Building Enclosures

Postby shenicles » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi guys :D

I have recently come across enough building material ( think its white melamite ) to start building my own enclosures.
Because it is my first attempt I'll be keeping things simple. Still not sure on the sizes because I will be keeping mainly corns, and a selection of boas / pythons I hope to get in the future.

I checked a post related to using white melamite and I know its safe :P
Is there anything else I will need to know regarding treatment of the wood/exposed areas?

Thinking of using round vents? Although the rectangular ones are more aesthetically pleasing, they seem to be harder to find. Especially on budget :D
I am planning on using Marine Silicone for the sealing process, and simple nails. Also aware that I would need to sand down the glass runners a bit to help it bond better.

To be fairly honest, I still have not decided if I want to build singles or perhaps a nice stack.

Any opinions and advice is gladly welcome!

Will update with pictures of the boards as soon as I get home :P

Regards,
sheN
shenicles
SA Reptiles Member

Re: First Attempt Building Enclosures

Postby Primogen » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:55 pm

Melamine is pretty much what everybody uses, so no real problems there beside the need to seal it very well:
Such as applying waterproof woodglue or silicone to the exposed edges before joining.
And a further bead of silicon on internal corners.
Any water or humidity will cause it to swell tremendously if its not well sealed.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gekosin » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:33 pm

I have never tried nails but i would just make sure they are long enough/ the correct type, else your enclosure will be falling apart while you try build it.
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby No_One_T » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:59 pm

I would say, if you can. Rather use Screws instead of Nails. If you making them to last, it is always better to screw them together.
Is there anybody out there
No_One_T
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:29 pm

Yes definitely screws instead of nails. I don't think they would work well at all.
It's pretty straight forward really.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BRB » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:15 pm

Marine ply wood is a better option, seal it with a lead free varnish, melamine always seems to swell eventually.
Please join my Facebook page, "Ball Python Obsession" for all the latest news and updates

https://m.facebook.com/Ballpythonobsession?ref=bookmark

1.1 Spiders, 0.4 Pastels, 1.0 Leopard 1.0 Phantom Yellow Belly 0.1 Butter Ghost 1.1 Genetic Stripes, 1.0 Mojave Ghost, 1.0 Spotnose, 1.0 Butter, 1.0 Pinstripe, 0.4 Mojave, 0.1 Albino, 0.3 Het Hypo, 0.1 Het Axanthic, 0.1 Cinnamon, 0.13 Normals, 1.0 Firefly, 0.1 Fire, 0.3 Pastel Spotnose
BRB
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:55 pm

I concur with the other members on using screws... I have built a few of my own and screws work WAY better...

Also, round vents are fine and dandy but remember to put a vent cover inside the cage as well as outside! in my experience when my snakes found a hole only covered by a vent on the outside, they worry at it and rub and push at the vent cover trying to get out... simply putting a vent inside made them lose interest...
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:31 pm

That's pretty interesting Bernice.
They can really be dumb sometimes.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kakibos » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:36 am

I agree with BRB rather use ply wood and seal it with something like woodoc marine sealer, if done right the cage will last a long time. But if you already have the melamine then no worries it will also do the job.
Post some pics when you are finished with the cage.
Kakibos
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Enclosure building