Shooting range inhabitants

Shooting range inhabitants

Postby Sfourie » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi All

Our shooting range just outside of Sabie is home to a large diversity of wildlife.

Of note there is a Long Crested Eagle pair, it is rare that you would visit the range without seeing one. Furthermore the day came when a mature bushbuck ram decided to casually walk across the range. Imagine the comical scene of a line of 8 rifles all slowly following the ram from left to right (Don’t worry no one in our hunting organization poaches).

Then today I found 2 geckos in the safe. I am almost sure that they are Walhberg Velvet Geckos (Homopholis walbergii). I took the opportunity to take some photographs and got bit for my efforts. Obviously this gecko has not heard what an honor it is to have your picture posted on SA Reptiles.

Regards

Stefan
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Shooting range inhabitants

Postby flyjack » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:05 pm

Stunning picture! And it sounds like an amazing place with some very bold inhabitants!
flyjack
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:01 pm

If it bit like that the chances are good it was a Walhbergs gecko. The inside of the mouth is usually black as well.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Fooble » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:49 pm

Nice images you're spot on they are Walhbergs velvet geckos.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Sfourie » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:07 pm

Yes the mouth was dark inside. Thanks Fooble I had I bit of luck and help with photographs. Because the safe is so dark I had my ISO on 200. It was still too dark for a good photo so I caught the gecko and went outside. The better light ensured for a fast shutter speed of 1/2000 and sharp hand held shots which my dad took since I had to hold the gecko.
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous geckos