Keeping exotic lizards outdoors

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks exotic to South Africa.

View Gallery

Keeping exotic lizards outdoors

Postby Desai » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:15 am

Howzit guys

Are there any exotic lizards that can be kept permanently outdoors in Durban? At the moment I have my brown basilisks outdoors in an exo-terra flexarium 175 (75X75X120). It is filled with plants (only indigenous stuff though) and is in my balcony which is north-east facing. There is a 150W ceramic heater in the cage. Is it possible to keep them here permanently? Why I am asking is because sometimes my male hides a lot and does not spend a lot of time under the UVb lights. My female loves to bask though. So I kept them outside in the sun

Your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated
Desai
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:36 pm

The fact that they're getting some decent sunshine is a big plus. The weather in Durban is much more suited to tropical species than most of the country and would probably do fine, although it can get a bit too cold in winter. One problem is predators like birds of prey and stray cats finding your lizards, even if they are in a cage, they can still die from stress.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby flapjackjoe » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:34 am

I saw wild geckosin the middle of winter in dbn. The climate allows for that....
flapjackjoe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:39 am

Desai the best idea would be to build the cage on wheels so that if you supect that there is going to be a cold night (or cold days) you can wheel the cage inside.

I have seen this in Europe a lot and they have far worse days than what we have. Build the cage so that it just fits through the balcony door and make sure you have space in the lounge for it on a temporary basis.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Desai » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:28 pm

Thats a great idea bushviper. Dont know why I never tawt of dat :oops:
Desai
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic Lizards