best starter cobra??

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

best starter cobra??

Postby marc bt » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:08 pm

hi guys,
i'm strictly a viper guy and i would pick a viper over any other snake but i'm looking to extend my collection.
So i'm wanting to know what do you guys think is the best indigenious(local rocks!! :-) ) cobra to start with?
As in temperement, size ( nothing too big), cost, easy to keep, etc.
i was thinking maybe a snoutie(i'm not to sure if its indigenious to SA)??
All comments and information welcome, don't hold back. ;)
thanks,
marc
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Re: best starter cobra??

Postby Whitelipp » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:54 pm

I would have to say snoutie but they can get big.I lust love them, they calm down(atleast the one I have) fairly quickly and they are not fussy eaters.They are rodent freaks and simple to keep. So I would have to say if you go local go snouted cobra.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:00 pm

thanks whitelipp, and what cage size do i need? i have a 1,2m L x 60cm W x 50cm H with a mesh lift up lid, will that do? What is the price for a baby snoutie?
marc
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BB Gabonica » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:33 pm

I'll agree with Whitelipp and say snoutie. Just watch the size. They can get bloody BIG!!!
Most do seem to calm down although I have worked with a few posessed animals... :twisted:
You'll have to get a lock on the lifting lid or it WILL push it's way out.
You will probably need a bigger cage in a few years time.
BB Gabonica
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Well the lift up lid in my opinion is a kinda no go. The size of the tank is perfect. Does the tank have a sliding glass front or is the top the only way in?I've seen normal snouties going for R200 and bandid snouties for about R500.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:07 pm

i do have a sliding glass cage but it's one of those polystyrene tanks, about the same size. do they like humidty because the polystyrene tank does build up a large amount. Are they quite easy to get?
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby drummer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:03 pm

Can you handle a snouted cobra? Do you know what to do if bitten? Does you family know what to do if you are bitten? What is the correct first aid?( hospitals don't know)

All questions you should ask yourself before thinking about a large elapid. All of our local cobras get relatively big.
what the hell is wrong with me?
drummer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:05 pm

OK for starters, not all snouties are calm snakes, i've probably had about 30 snouties over the years, i absolutely love them, but they get very big, and they can be aggressive animals. A mesh lid is a no go to start off with, they do a lot of burrowing with that rostral scale so in short they'll get hurt on that mesh because they'll push against it.

Have you ever worked with a cobra before?
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Copperbob » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:26 pm

If your nervous about size or venom, why not get a coral. They behave similar, their venom is nowhere near as toxic and they don't grow anywhere near as big as a cobra. It could give you a better understanding of how the big fellows behave.
Just a thought, good luck with your choice.
Copperbob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:32 pm

@drummer: when i first started with venomous snakes these kind of things where thought of and where taken into consideration. luckyly enough i live about a 1km from st Augustines and the people that live below are retired and are good friends of ours and have already assured me that they are always there if needed.

@serpy: i have never worked with a cobra before unfortunately, but i want to start somewhere and thats why i said whats the best starter cobra? if it is not indigenious then so be it but i'm going to have to start somewhere.

@ copperbob: i have worked with corals before and an aggressive one too, but i've always been impressed with cobras. i am also looking to extend my collection.

if you guys have a better starter cobras then please tell me as they have been something i've wanted to get for quite a while.
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:35 pm

I dunno hey, i have the 2 coral species and they're nothing compared to even a baby naja. I would say work with a fellow keeper that has various big cobra's, thats the only way you'll get ready for a cobra.

I dunno if there's a cobra you can classify as a starter cobra, but marc I assure you indigenous is the way to go, i keep several exotic naja species and they are definitely not worth starting out with, chances are if you get bitten by one you'll die. easy as
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:45 pm

i would love to work with a someone that has cobras, the experience and has the time to help me. i understand what you mean serpy, i suppose i am putting my life at risk and i should rather get suitable training before i make my decision.
anyway i guess i should be getting back to my vipers ;)
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:49 pm

I'm not saying don't do it, if you do it absolutely has to be indigenous. The hospital near you, how many vials of AV do they have on hand? If a big cobra bites you its going to pump you full of venom, and you'll need more than a handful of vials, and possibly a ventilator.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:55 pm

okay, i'm going to have to make sure about all these specific things before i make my decision.:)
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:02 pm

I always advise guys to start out with Cape coralsnakes as 'first cobra'.These agro guys are relatively small, entertaining, pretty, and they are worth breeding.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Active archive