Python shot!

Python shot!

Postby Wolf777 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:01 pm

About 9-10 PM I get called by my friend saying there is a snake at a house about 300m away. Me and the friend I was visiting start sprinting down to the friend who called me. As we got to them we see a few cars and lots of comosion just around the corner about 30m away. Just then a man (whom was a police officer) gets out of his car and pulls out his 9mm and starts firing. My brother and my one friend sprinted towards him to get him to stop shooting (I was standing still for a moment instructing my other friend to go get my hook, gloves etc. as I didn't know at the time what snake it was). The owner of the house called my mom (who instructed him to remain calm as I will be with him in a moment) and thats when I got the call from my friend. We finally manage to get the policeman to stop shooting and that's when I saw the snake, a 3.76m beauty of a python. 4-5 of the shots hit the snake, one in the head (3 holes) and the rest all along the body downwards. What really pisses me off is when I told the guy he could get into a lot of trouble and asked him why he didn't wait, he replied: "Haaa it's just a snake..." and that I took too long. I took a maximum of 2 min to get there, and the officer was well within hearing distance whilst he fired as my friends tried to stop him. I have already informed Natcon and a guy will be visiting me tomorrow to get statements etc. so we can take this further.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Python shot!

Postby Wolf777 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:11 pm

Just another note, the snake is probably around 3m as I didn't do the measuring myself, but a friend did.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Silvrav » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:01 am

A sad story indeed.

Did you manage to get a pic or two?
Carpet Python - Morelia spilota cheynei
Silvrav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby charl.dbn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:31 am

Interesting story.
some people just don't care, how does it go? Different rules for different people

I take it the snake is dead? I know it is a dumb question, but remarkable things can happen in some situations.
charl.dbn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:58 am

That is disgusting. And why on earth did they phone you if they killed it before even giving you a chance to get there? Infuriating
1.1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
1.1.0 Corallus hortulanus
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus puniceus
2.2.0 Trimeresurus albolabris
Jen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kevin Lancaster » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:40 am

Looks like the Feds are taking the shoot to kill policy a bit far.
“Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.” - Matthew 10:16
Kevin Lancaster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:25 am

The snake died after a while, I tried to save it but one round did a lot of damage as I constantly tried to get blood out that clotted and obstructed it's windpipe. I measured her(female) at 3.685m. I will try and post pics tomorrow.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:38 pm

That is really sad. I hope the authorities do something about it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby James Wittstock » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:37 pm

That is really sad!!! hopefully police do something about it hey.
James Wittstock
James Wittstock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby James Wittstock » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:39 pm

Wasn't meant to copy you bushviper :D
James Wittstock
James Wittstock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:34 pm

The policeman is quite 'high up on the promotion ladder' from what I've heard so we will see what comes of this. He even fired in the direction of other houses and you can see where rounds hit the pavement and veered off. I will post pics tomorrow, hopefully we can make an example out of this...
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Reptiles Unlimited » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:49 pm

The Criminal Procedure act and the Prevention of Cruelty to Aimals Act give very strict guidelines as to when a Police Official can use his firearm to kill an animal. Report the matter to the relevant "Animal welfare" institution such as NSPCA and your local Conservation authority as it is a TOPS protected species. Arrogance and ignorance cannot be tolerated especially by the SAPS.
JP Wittstock
Reptiles Unlimited
http://www.reptilesunlimited.co.za
Reptiles Unlimited
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Exactly what I'm going to do Jp. This endless killing needs to stop.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:45 pm

The pics are graphic but here they are, sorry for the quality, was at night and I only had my phone to take pictures with.

One of the two shots that most likely did the most damage and killed her. Couldn't stop the bleeding and she bled out internally causing blood to clott in her windpipe...

The other "more serious shot".

We managed to stop the bleeding from the head wounds.

A better view of the two "death shots".

One of the minor wounds, there was no bleeding from this wound at all, and it looked like it had only done minor damage internally.

Another one of the minor wounds about 15-20cm from the cloaca.

A few more.

The one friend who ran and finally got the officer to stop shooting. He is 1.94m tall, took a picture for size reference.

We managed to keep her alive for 2-3 hours, I didn't want to give up but she was obviously in pain and I wanted to put her out of her misery. My mom insisted I don't do that because of legal complications for instance people then saying it was I whom had killed her etc. I have never felt so hopeless in my life, I wish there was more I could have done. The snake doesn't have much body fat and was probably after the chickens in the guy's yard, but what was amazing is that she made it this far, she either had to cross the main road, go through dozens of yards and across smaller roads or had to follow a small strip of bush about 30m thick behind the houses for more than a kilometre from a "koppie" and the river.

The guy from Natcon didn't come yesterday, and hasn't arrived yet today. He instructed me to keep the body for him so I still have it, I really hope something comes of this.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby komodoking » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:59 pm

This is truly very Sad, good on U for trying to save this lovely animal.
komodoking
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Limpopo